* This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please read our affiliate page for more info.
Switzerland is known for its stunning natural scenery, and the country’s many lakes are no exception. From the crystal-clear waters of Lake Thun to the picturesque shores of Lake Lucerne, Switzerland’s lakes offer visitors a chance to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature. For those looking for a truly luxurious experience, there are also a number of lakeside hotels that offer top-notch wellness amenities in addition to their gorgeous views and lake access.
Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or a family vacation, there is something for everyone at Switzerland’s lakeside hotels. Many of these hotels boast private beaches, spa facilities, indoor pools, and excellent restaurants making them the perfect place to unwind and indulge. With so many options to choose from, it might be difficult for you to know where to start.
We have put together a list of the best lakeside hotels in Switzerland to help you plan your next vacation. Without further ado, here are the top lakeside hotels that you can find in Switzerland.
Best Lakeside Hotels in Ticino
Ticino enjoys a warm, Mediterranean climate quite different from the rest of Switzerland. This destination is perfect for people who want to engage in outdoor activities such as swimming, hiking, and cycling. Influenced heavily by Italian culture, Ticino is also a favorite due to its local cuisine and language. With its stunning scenery and two large lakes, Lake Lugano and Lake Maggiore, visitors can enjoy a variety of water-based activities. Lastly, there is no shortage of luxurious hotels with swimming pools, spas, and excellent restaurants, making it an ideal choice to go on a relaxing holiday.
If you would like to check out the best lakeside hotels in the Ticino region, here are some options for you:
- Castello del Sole Beach Resort & SPA is a luxurious five-star hotel in a 16th-century building located on the shores of Lake Maggiore. With 275 meters of private lakeshore and 14 hectares of spacious private park, this resort stands out as one of the best in Switzerland. The hotel offers 78 rooms and suites in addition to an indoor and outdoor pool and a wellness center. Italian and Mediterranean cuisine can be found in the restaurants. In summer, you can even dine outdoors. Children are very welcome here and babysitting services are also offered upon request.
- Hotel Eden Roc is a 5-star hotel situated on the shores of Lake Maggiore in Ascona. The hotel features a private beach, a spa, two swimming pools, and several restaurants. The rooms are spacious and elegantly decorated, with most offering lake views. Hotel Eden Roc is a member of the prestigious Leading Hotels of the World group.
- Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola is an impressive mansion located just a short walk from the old town of Lugano on Lake Lugano’s shores. A variety of elegantly decorated rooms and suites are available at the hotel. Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola features its own subtropical park, an indoor pool, and a tennis court. There are two gourmet restaurants on the premises, Le Relais and Gallery Arte al Lago, and the La Rucola.
Best Lakeside Hotels on Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva is a crescent-shaped lake formed from the Rhône River and shared between Switzerland and France. At its eastern end, the Rhône flows into the lake between Villeneuve and Le Bouveret. It empties into Geneva in the west. On the southern shore of Lake Geneva are the Chablais Alps. To the west, you will see the Swiss Jura, and to the east Gruyère Pays-d’Enhaut. The Lake Geneva Region is a fantastic choice for your holiday due to its stunning landscapes, parks and gardens, museums, historical sites, food, and wine. Water-based activities are numerous and include swimming, cruising, waterskiing, waterboarding, paddleboarding, and more.
If you would like to check out the best lakeside hotels in the Lake Geneva region, here are some options for you:
- Beau-Rivage Palace Lausanne is a five-star hotel located on the shores of Lake Geneva. Beau-Rivage Palace commands striking views across the lake up to the magnificent French Alps. A reputation for high quality and service has made the Beau-Rivage Palace one of Europe’s favorite hotels. The hotel is located in Lausanne, surrounded by 10 acres of parkland. Two pools, one of which is open year-round, outdoor play equipment, babysitting services, fishing, a tennis court, a garden, and a spa are some of the hotel’s amenities.
- Hôtel des Trois Couronnes offers one of the most enchanting views of Lake Geneva and the Alps in Vevey. The hotel features elegant rooms with private balconies, an indoor swimming pool with underwater music, and an excellent spa. French and Mediterranean cuisine is served in a romantic setting on the hotel’s grand panorama terrace. Hôtel Des Trois Couronnes & Spa is a member of the prestigious Leading Hotels of the World group.
Best Lakeside Hotels on Lake Lucerne
Lake Lucerne, also known as Vierwaldstättersee in German, is one of the major lakes located in Switzerland. It is situated within the cantons of Lucerne, Uri, Schwyz, Obwalden, and Nidwalden. The distinct fjord-like features, such as a narrow shape with many inlets and twists, clear waters, and picturesque natural surroundings, make Lake Lucerne an exceptional destination. A well-known tourist hub, Lake Lucerne offers multiple leisure options like swimming and boating. The region’s connection to the Swiss hero, William Tell, and the formation of the Swiss Confederacy, makes this region also historically relevant.
- Park Hotel Vitznau is a luxurious five-star hotel located on the shores of Lake Lucerne. With its own private beach, 2 restaurants, indoor and outdoor pools, spa facilities, and gourmet restaurants, it is one of the best lakeside hotels in Switzerland. The hotel features elegant rooms and suites, which offer stunning views of the Lake Lucerne. Among the other amenities of the hotel are free WiFi, 24-hour room service, 6 wine cellars, and a free shuttle service to the Rigi Cable Car.
- Romantik Hotel Beau-Rivage Weggis, with its outdoor heated swimming pool open between mid-March and mid-October, a sunbathing lawn, a wellness center, and direct lake access make it an excellent choice. The hotel is located on the shores of Lake Lucerne in the town of Weggis. Rooms have panoramic views of either the lake or the mountains. The hotel’s restaurant offers international and French cuisine.
- Hermitage Lake Lucerne is set on the shores of Lake Lucerne. This tranquil hotel is a great place to relax. While it’s a little outside of the city of Lucerne, it has stunning views and refined restaurants. There’s also a beach club with daybeds, lounges, drinks, snacks, and cool music. Party boats are available to rent or you can take public boats that stop right outside the hotel. My family has stayed here and has loved it. I highly recommend it.
Best Lakeside Hotels on Lake Neuchatel
Of all the lakes in Switzerland, Lake Neuchâtel stands out as one of the largest; it is also the biggest lake entirely situated within Swiss borders. The Lake Neuchâtel Region is a great destination for those looking to explore the natural beauty, history, culture, and recreational activities of the Three-Lakes Region. There are sandy beaches, boat tours, and pretty towns such as Estavayer-le-Lac, Neuchâtel, Yverdon-les-Bains, and Grandson.
- Hotel Palafitte Neuchâtel is a unique hotel located on the shores of Lake Neuchâtel. The hotel features 40 individual bungalows built on stilts over the lake, each offering stunning views of the water. The hotel also has a spa, indoor and outdoor pools, and a restaurant serving Swiss and international cuisine.
- Beau-Rivage Neuchâtel is situated on the shores of Lake Neuchâtel, offering stunning views of the lake and the surrounding mountains. The hotel features a wellness center, a fitness center, and elegant rooms with lake views. Guests can enjoy Swiss cuisine in the in-house restaurant, featuring local ingredients, and there are two bars in the hotel.
Best Lakeside Hotels on Lake Thun
With contrasting colors of blue waters and green mountains behind with snowy peaks from time to time, the Lake Thun region offers breathtaking scenery for a memorable trip. Several water-based activities are available at the lake, including a paddle steamer cruise and swimming. Year after year, tourists flock to the trio of Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau nearby.
- BEATUS Wellness- & Spa-Hotel offers a large park on the shores of Lake Thun, a salt-water outdoor pool, an indoor pool, and panoramic views of the mountains, especially Niesen right across. The hotel features a spa and wellness center free of charge. The restaurant serves light Swiss and international cuisine.
- Deltapark Vitalresort is a fantastic wellness resort on the shores of Lake Thun. Three restaurants, two swimming pools, a spa, and a fitness center make it an ideal place to relax and unwind. Guests will receive a PanoramaCard that offers many perks in the area, such as free transportation on STI buses and PostBus (please check the card’s validity range) and attractive discounts.
- Belvedere Strandhotel in Spiez provides its guests with a private beach. This hotel offers an outdoor pool, a spa area, and a gourmet restaurant with a lake view.
Best Family-Friendly Lakeside Hotels
Kids and their families can have a wonderful time visiting family-friendly resorts on lakes. These hotels have interesting activities for children inside the hotel premises and near the lakes. It can be a memorable and enjoyable experience for the entire family. Having been to Frutt Mountain Resort, I can vouch that it’s one of the best lakeside resort hotels in Switzerland for families.
- Frutt Mountain Resort is located on the shores of Melchsee-Frutt, offering panoramic views of Lake Melch and the surrounding mountains. With a height of 1,920 meters, Melchsee-Frutt is a charming car-free village in Kerns, in the Swiss Alps. The Frutt Mountain Resort is Europe’s highest-elevation 4-star* hotel. It is an upscale mountain resort with a spa, swimming pool, cinema, bowling, and a play area for children. They also serve fantastic meals at Titschli, Special Cuts, and Lago. I highly recommend Frutt Mountain Resort.
- Marina Walensee Hotel is located on the shores of Lake Walen, offering panoramic views of the lake and the surrounding mountains. It is conveniently located near the Flumserberg cable car station. The restaurant serves Mediterranean dishes, pizzas, tapas, and seasonal fare. For children, there is also a kids club.
Final Thoughts: 15 Best Lakeside Hotels in Switzerland
Switzerland offers many beautiful lakeside hotels for different budgets. Whether you’re looking for a luxurious getaway or a more affordable option, there’s something for everyone.
These hotels are ideal if you want direct beach access:
- Castello del Sole Beach Resort & SPA
- Hotel Eden Roc
- Park Hotel Vitznau
- Romantik Hotel Beau-Rivage Weggis
- Hermitage Lake Lucerne
- Hotel Palafitte Neuchâtel
- BEATUS Wellness- & Spa-Hotel
- Belvedere Strandhotel
- Marina Walensee Hotel
Those seeking a relaxing and picturesque vacation will love Switzerland’s lakeside hotels. The variety of lakeside hotels in Switzerland ensures that visitors will find the perfect place for their next vacation. Hopefully, you found something you like from the list of the finest lakeside hotels in Switzerland above.
- 8 Most Beautiful Lakeside Resorts in Switzerland
- 8 Best Things to Do in Lake Thun, Switzerland
- 8 Best Places on Lake Geneva
- Best Ascona Activities and Attractions
- Why Lucerne Is Worth Visiting and What to Expect
- How to Spend 1 Day in Lausanne, Switzerland
- Ouchy, Lausanne: A Haven for Everyone
- 10 Beautiful Places Near Lucerne