* Disclosure: By clicking on our affiliate links, you may support TouringSwitzerland.com while incurring no additional costs. We appreciate your support!
Many tourists visit Interlaken, Switzerland because it is an excellent starting point for exploring the Bernese Oberland region. Because of its convenient location for hiking, adventure, and trips, tourists usually stay here for several days or even longer. This article will provide all the information you need about traveling by train from Basel to Interlaken.
Inevitably, logistics are a concern. In particular, train travel in Switzerland has a few specifics for those who plan to use it. How can I get from Basel to Interlaken? Do the trains offer scenic views? How much are the tickets?
On this page, you can find all the information you need regarding the train journey from Basel to Interlaken.
You can start by visiting the SBB website: www.sbb.ch. Using the website, you can type in your departure and arrival destinations. It will then guide you to where and when you need to be. An app is also available for iOS and Android devices.
If you wish to pay half the fare for all your train rides in Switzerland, a Half Fare Discount Card (1-month validity) is available on www.sbb.ch. This allows you to travel for half the price on all SBB routes and most other railways during the duration of your discount card.
Using the Swiss Pass, you get unlimited travel by train, bus, and boat in Switzerland. Over 500 museums are also free or discounted, and there are free or discounted excursions to mountain summits.
Getting tickets from RailEurope is a convenient option if you’re traveling within Europe and/or visiting multiple countries. Having been in operation since the 1930s, RailEurope‘s extensive history, user-friendly website and mobile apps, flexible currency payment options, commitment to customer satisfaction, and strategic partnerships with leading rail operators, collectively establish it as a reliable and trustworthy platform for booking European train travel.
You can obtain from RailEurope the following travel passes:
- Swiss Travel Pass – choose between continuous or flexible Swiss train passes for 3, 4, 8, or 15 days. The perks? unlimited use in over 90 Swiss cities, free admission to more than 500 museums, and discounts on mountain railways and cable cars. You also get discounts on high-speed Lyria trains between France and Switzerland as well as Nightjet trains that go through Switzerland. See RailEurope for more information.
- Eurail Global Pass – unlimited train travel to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for non-EU residents
- Interrail Global Pass – access to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for citizens and permanent residents of the EU
How to Get From Basel to Interlaken
Basel Train Station to Interlaken
Interlaken is best reached by taking the direct train from Basel to Interlaken.
There will be stops in Olten, Bern, Thun, and Spiez before it reaches Interlaken West and Interlaken Ost. Get off in either Interlaken West or Interlaken Ost.
Basel Airport to Interlaken via Bern
From Basel Airport, you can take the bus that will bring you from Basel EuroAirport to Basel Train Station (Basel, Bahnhof SBB). After reaching Basel Train Station, simply look for the direct train that will bring you to Interlaken Ost.
- Take the Intercity train or Interregio train to Bern.
- In Bern, take the Intercity train to Interlaken West / Interlaken Ost.
Are There Direct Trains From Basel to Interlaken?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2022), there are two direct trains per hour from Basel to Interlaken.
How Long Is the Train Ride From Basel to Interlaken?
The following table shows the train ride duration from Basel to Interlaken (updated December 2022):
|Route||Duration (Fastest Connection)|
|Basel – Interlaken Ost (Direct)||2 hours 0 minutes|
|Basel – Interlaken West (Direct)||1 hour 54 minutes|
|Basel Airport – Basel – Interlaken Ost||2 hours 23 minutes|
|Basel Airport – Basel – Interlaken West||2 hours 17 minutes|
Is the Train Route From Basel to Interlaken Scenic?
Train Route: Basel – Interlaken Ost
Intercity trains from Basel to Interlaken are not scenic trains. There are fast trains that travel from one big city to another, whose main purpose is to transport passengers as quickly as possible.
During the ride, you can still see the scenery, but it won’t be slow and steady like other scenic trains.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Basel to Interlaken Cost?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2022), here are the train ticket prices from Basel to Interlaken:
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare (CHF)|
|Basel – Interlaken Ost / West||61.00||30.50|
|Basel Airport – Basel – Interlaken Ost / West||67.00||33.50|
As you can see, if you avail of the Half Fare Travel Card, you can definitely save on your fare for long train journeys. So this is definitely something to consider during your travel to Switzerland. You can do simple calculations and decide from there if it will be worth it for you.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
- Zurich to Interlaken Train: All You Need To Know
- Geneva to Interlaken Train: All You Need To Know
- Interlaken, Switzerland: An Excellent Base in Bernese Oberland
- Interlaken: 8 Reasons Why You Should Visit
- Top 12 Stunning Places Near Interlaken
- 8 Beautiful Towns Near Interlaken, Switzerland
- Mountains Close to Interlaken Worth Visiting
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.