In addition to being Switzerland’s most populous and most visited city, Bern is also the country’s major international transport hub. If you’re in Bern, you might consider going to Zermatt by train. Traveling by train within Switzerland is an easy, comfortable, and impressive journey. So I would definitely recommend traveling by train from Bern to Zermatt. In this article, we will discuss all that you need to know to travel from Bern to Zermatt.
Zermatt is one of the best places to visit in Switzerland. You’ve probably heard of it. It’s near a famous mountain, the Matterhorn. This car-free mountain village is beautiful. You’ll find it in Valais, one of the southernmost regions of Switzerland.
If you are thinking of taking the train from Bern to Zermatt or the other way around, read on below.
How To Get From Bern to Zermatt
As a first step, you should know about this website: www.sbb.ch. If you wish to install the app on your phone, they have one as well. Using the website, you can simply type in your arrival and departure destinations. After that, it will guide you to where you need to be and when.
How To Get From Bern To Zermatt by Train
There is no direct train from Bern to Zermatt.
To travel by train from Bern to Zermatt, you will have to take the following trains:
- Take the train from Bern to Visp.
- In Visp, take the train to Zermatt.
The travel time from Bern to Zermatt is 2 hours and 7 minutes. You cannot bring your car directly to Zermatt. Zermatt is car-free.
How to Travel From Zermatt to Bern by Train
To travel by train from Zermatt to Bern, you will have to take the following trains:
- Take the train from Zermatt to Visp.
- In Visp, take the train to Bern.
The travel time from Zermatt to Bern is 2 hours and 11 minutes.
Is there a direct train from Bern to Zermatt?
As of the time of writing (updated February 2023), there are no direct trains from Bern to Zermatt.
In Visp, you’ll need to change to a connecting train for Zermatt and vice versa.
How Long Is the Train Ride From Bern to Zermatt?
The following table shows the train ride duration from Bern to Zermatt via Visp or the other way around (updated February 2023):
|Bern – Zermatt||2 hours 7 minutes|
|Zermatt – Bern||2 hours 11 minutes|
Is the Train Route From Bern to Zermatt Scenic?
Starting Visp, the route starts becoming more beautiful. The trains also drive slower. However, if you want to go for scenic trains with huge panoramic windows, I would suggest taking the Glacier Express from Zermatt. The Glacier Express runs between Zermatt in Valais and St. Moritz in Graubünden over 291 bridges and 91 tunnels. This train route takes you from the home of the Matterhorn to St. Moritz, a fancy mountain resort in Engadine.
Other Scenic Trains
In case you would like to check out other scenic trains, then there are more scenic trains recommended below. These are the Golden Pass Line, the Glacier Express, and the Bernina Express. Another interesting train is the Historical Train that goes from Davos to Filisur.
Your other options in detail are the following:
- Golden Pass – The Golden Pass departs from Lucerne. You would take a train from Zurich to Lucerne, then change to Interlaken. This is sometimes referred to as the east end of this route. The Golden Pass has panorama coaches and is scenic.
- Glacier Express – Glacier Express is a long journey that starts from Zermatt, home of Matterhorn. It then traverses 291 bridges and 91 tunnels before stopping in St. Moritz. Both Zermatt and St. Moritz are beautiful mountain resorts worthy of a longer stay. The Glacier Express passes by several idyllic mountain villages.
- Bernina Express – Bernina Express is another train route that begins in Chur. Chur is the oldest alpine city in Switzerland and definitely worth visiting. This train route spans 196 bridges. It goes through 55 tunnels and passes 20 beautiful villages in Switzerland. For you to go on this scenic train, you will have to go from Zurich or Lucerne to Chur first.
- Historical Train Davos to Filisur – May through October, vintage carriages are pulled by the century-old crocodile locomotive from Davos Platz to Filisur. The train line covers a total length of 4,200 meters through 14 tunnels and 28 bridges. Its scenic highlights include the Wiesen Viaduct and the Zügen Gorge.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Bern to Zermatt Cost?
As of the time of writing (updated February 2023), here are the train ticket prices from Bern to Zermatt:
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare (CHF)|
|Bern – Zermatt||90.00||45.00|
As you can see, if you avail of the Half Fare Travel Card, you can definitely save on your fare for long train journeys. So this is definitely something to consider during your travel to Switzerland. You can do simple calculations and decide from there if it will be worth it for you.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
- How To Reach Zermatt and Matterhorn From Zurich
- Täsch to Zermatt Train: All You Need To Know
- Why Is the Matterhorn So Famous?
- Best Zermatt Alternatives to Choose From
- How to Get To Glacier Express From Zurich
- How to Travel From Interlaken to Zermatt
- St. Moritz or Zermatt: Which One Is More Impressive?
- Swiss Alps – The Ultimate Guide
- Top 10 Car-Free Ski Resorts in the Swiss Alps
- 12 Charming Car-Free Villages in Switzerland
- Top 10 Snow Sure Ski Resorts in Switzerland