Montreux is a cute town in the canton of Vaud, Switzerland, northeast of Lake Geneva. Besides its spa facilities, Montreux is famous for its mild climate, awesome views, and the Montreux Jazz Festival. Eight kilometers run from Clarens, through Chillon Castle, and up to Villeneuve. Combined with Vevey-Montreux, it’s home to around 85,000 people.
Montreux is also an incredibly popular tourist destination. Many people from Geneva travel by train or private vehicle to Montreux, and vice versa.
It is inevitable that logistical concerns will arise. Those who wish to travel by train in Switzerland need to know several specifics before doing so. In this article, we will explore the train journey between Geneva and Montreux.
How do you get from Geneva to Montreux by train? Or are you able to drive your own car? Let’s find out.
This article will answer all your questions about the train journey from Geneva to Montreux.
How To Get From Geneva to Montreux
As a first step, you should know about this website: www.sbb.ch. If you wish to install the app on your phone, they have one as well. Using the website, you can simply type in your arrival and departure destinations. After that, it will guide you to where you need to be and when.
Coming from Geneva Airport
From Geneva to Montreux, you can take the direct train. Trains leave directly from Geneva or Geneva Airport. Exactly the same train leaves Geneva Airport and stops in Geneva. After that, it goes to Lausanne and Vevey, then Montreux.
You can also take a train to Lausanne, and then one of the regional trains to Montreux from there.
Coming from Geneva Train Station
If you are at the Geneva Train Station, you can find the train number and platform number on the screens. Furthermore, the trains will be marked on the front and the sides with which route they are traveling.
If you are coming from the Geneva Train Station, you can take the Interregio train that goes directly from Geneva to Montreux. Otherwise, you can follow the route below:
- Take the Intercity train from Geneva Train Station to Lausanne.
- From Lausanne, take the connecting train to Montreux.
How To Get From Montreux to Geneva Airport
To get from Montreux to Geneva Airport, you can take the Interregio train. Direct trains to Geneva Airport typically leave from Platform 1. You can check the signs at the Montreux Train Station itself. Otherwise, you can follow the route below:
- From Montreux, take the connecting train to Lausanne.
- From Lausanne, take the Intercity train to Geneva Airport.
How long is the train journey from Geneva to Montreux?
Here are the estimated travel times between Geneva and Montreux (as of September 2022):
|Route||Estimated Travel Time (Fastest Direct Trains)|
|Geneva Airport – Montreux||1 hours 9 minutes|
|Geneva – Montreux||59 minutes|
|Montreux – Geneva||1 hour 2 minutes|
|Montreux – Geneva Airport||1 hours 11 minutes|
Is there a direct train from Geneva to Montreux?
Yes, trains typically run between Geneva and Montreux three times an hour. Furthermore, there are two direct trains an hour from Geneva Airport to Montreux.
Is the Train From Geneva to Montreux Scenic?
Trains traveling along Lake Geneva will always be scenic due to the picturesque views of the vineyards of Lavaux, the lake, and the stunning Alpine panorama. Even so, these are still fast commuter trains and not the slow panoramic trains offered by the Swiss railways.
We have included other scenic trains below for reference, in case you are interested in taking one.
Other Scenic Trains in Switzerland
In case you would like to check out other scenic trains, then there are more scenic trains recommended below. These are the Golden Pass Line, the Glacier Express, and the Bernina Express. Another interesting train is the Historical Train that goes from Davos to Filisur.
Your other options in detail are the following:
- Golden Pass – Golden Pass departs from Lucerne. You would take a train from Geneva to Lucerne, then change to Interlaken. This is sometimes referred to as the east end of this route. The Golden Pass has panorama coaches and is scenic. Starting December 2022, the GoldenPass Express will connect Interlaken to Montreux.
- Glacier Express – Glacier Express is a long journey that starts from Zermatt, home of Matterhorn. It then traverses 291 bridges and 91 tunnels before stopping in St. Moritz. Both Zermatt and St. Moritz are beautiful mountain resorts worthy of a longer stay. The Glacier Express passes by several idyllic mountain villages.
- Bernina Express – Bernina Express is another train route that begins in Chur. Chur is the oldest alpine city in Switzerland and definitely worth visiting. This train route spans 196 bridges. It goes through 55 tunnels and passes 20 beautiful villages in Switzerland.
- Historical Train Davos to Filisur – May through October, vintage carriages are pulled by the century-old crocodile locomotive from Davos Platz to Filisur. The train line covers a total length of 4,200 meters through 14 tunnels and 28 bridges. Its scenic highlights include the Wiesen Viaduct and the Zügen Gorge.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Geneva to Montreux Cost?
As of the time of publishing the article (September 2022), a single journey ticket costs the following:
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare (CHF)|
|Geneva Airport – Montreux||35.00||17.50|
|Geneva Train Station – Montreux||31.00||15.50|
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
Am I allowed to travel from Geneva to Montreux?
Yes, there are currently no restrictions for traveling from Geneva to Montreux.
Can you drive into Montreux?
Yes, you may drive your car from Geneva to Montreux. You also have the possibility to rent a car from Geneva Airport if you wish to and drive this to Montreux. Check with the car rental agency for more details.
Is Montreux car-free?
If you are interested in visiting car-free villages in Switzerland, you can check out our article: 12 Charming Car-Free Villages in Switzerland.