* This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please read our affiliate page for more info.
Wengen, located in Switzerland, is perched on a wind-protected sun terrace 400 meters above Lauterbrunnen valley. It is in the Bernese Highlands (Bernese Oberland region), around 1,274 meters above sea level. Wengen can be found at the foot of the famous 4,158-meter-high Jungfrau mountain.
Wengen is a delightful place to visit, and you might even decide to stay for a couple of days. This sunny place opens widely toward the southwest. Therefore, it enjoys above-average hours of sunshine compared to other places in Lauterbrunnen valley.
Logistical concerns come up inevitably. Particularly for those who want to travel by rail in Switzerland, there are several specifics concerning train travel. In this article, we will discuss the train journey from Geneva to Wengen. How do you get from Geneva to Wengen? Can you drive in your car to Wengen? Find out more.
You can start by visiting the SBB website: www.sbb.ch. Using the website, you can type in your departure and arrival destinations. It will then guide you to where and when you need to be. An app is also available for iOS and Android devices.
If you wish to pay half the fare for all your train rides in Switzerland, a Half Fare Discount Card is available on www.sbb.ch. This allows you to travel for half the price on all SBB routes and most other railways during the duration of your discount card.
Getting tickets from RailEurope is definitely a convenient option if you’re traveling within Europe and/or visiting multiple countries. A global leader in train tickets and passes, RailEurope is headquartered in Paris, France. A Swiss Pass and a Half Fare Discount Card can also be obtained from RailEurope.
Using the Swiss Pass, you can travel on Swiss trains, buses, boats, and more. Over 500 museums are also free or discounted, and there are free or discounted excursions to mountain summits.
How to Get From Geneva to Wengen
In order to get from Geneva to Wengen, you’ll have to take the following trains:
- First, take the Intercity train from Geneva to Bern
- In Bern, take the Intercity train to Interlaken Ost
- In Interlaken Ost, take the regional train to Lauterbrunnen
- In Lauterbrunnen, take the green Wengernalp Train to Wengen
How to Get From Wengen to Geneva
In order to get from Wengen to Geneva, you’ll have to take the following trains:
- First, take the green Wengernalp Train that goes from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen
- In Lauterbrunnen, take the regional train to Interlaken Ost
- In Interlaken Ost, take the Intercity train to Bern
- In Bern, take the Intercity train to Geneva
Are There Direct Trains From Geneva to Wengen?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2022), there are no direct trains from Geneva to Wengen. You will have to change to the connecting trains in Bern, Interlaken Ost, and Lauterbrunnen.
How Long Is the Train Ride From Geneva to Wengen?
The following table shows the train ride duration from Geneva to Wengen (fastest):
|Geneva – Bern – Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen||3 hours and 30 minutes|
|Geneva Airport – Bern – Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen||3 hours and 40 minutes|
|Wengen – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken Ost – Bern – Geneva||3 hours and 36 minutes|
|Wengen – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken Ost – Bern – Geneva Airport||3 hours and 45 minutes|
Is the Train Route From Geneva to Wengen Scenic?
Intercity trains from Geneva Airport to Bern are not scenic trains. There are fast trains that travel from one big city to another, whose main purpose is to transport passengers as quickly as possible. These trains can reach high speeds. During the ride, you can still see the scenery, but it won’t be slow and steady like other scenic trains.
However, things start becoming more scenic as soon as you reach Interlaken. It gets even better after you leave Interlaken for Lauterbrunnen. The entire Jungfrau region is incredibly picturesque and one of my favorites in the entire country.
Other Scenic Trains
In case you would like to check out other scenic trains, then there are more scenic trains recommended below. These are the Golden Pass Line, the Glacier Express, and the Bernina Express. Another interesting train is the historical train that goes from Davos to Filisur.
Your other options in detail are the following:
- Golden Pass – The Golden Pass departs from Lucerne. You would take a train from Geneva to Lucerne, then change to Interlaken. This is sometimes referred to as the east end of this route. The Golden Pass has panorama coaches and is scenic.
- Glacier Express – Glacier Express is a long journey that starts from Zermatt, home of Matterhorn. It then traverses 291 bridges and 91 tunnels before stopping in St. Moritz. Both Zermatt and St. Moritz are beautiful mountain resorts worthy of a longer stay. The Glacier Express passes by several idyllic mountain villages.
- Bernina Express – Bernina Express is another train route that begins in Chur. Chur is the oldest alpine city in Switzerland and definitely worth visiting. This train route spans 196 bridges. It goes through 55 tunnels and passes 20 beautiful villages in Switzerland.
- Historical Train Davos to Filisur – May through October, vintage carriages are pulled by the century-old crocodile locomotive from Davos Platz to Filisur. The train line covers a total length of 4,200 meters through 14 tunnels and 28 bridges. Its scenic highlights include the Wiesen Viaduct and the Zügen Gorge.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Geneva to Wengen Cost?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2022), here are the train ticket prices from Geneva to Wengen:
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare (CHF)|
|Geneva – Bern – Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen||86.40||43.20|
|Geneva Airport – Bern – Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen||88.40||44.20|
As you can see, if you avail of the Half Fare Travel Card, you can definitely save on your fare for long train journeys. So this is definitely something to consider during your travel to Switzerland. You can do simple calculations and decide from there if it will be worth it for you.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
Can you drive into Wengen?
No, you cannot drive your car into Wengen. You will have to park your car in the Lauterbrunnen Valley terminal and from there take a train. Wengen is a car-free village.
Is Wengen car-free?
Yes, Wengen is a car-free village similar to Mürren and Zermatt. As you cannot take your car, you will have to park it at the Lauterbrunnen Valley Terminal. From the Lauterbrunnen Valley Terminal, you will have to take the train up to Wengen.
How do you get around in Wengen?
As Wengen is car-free, you cannot bring your car. However, if really have in need help with getting around, you can contact your hotel and they can arrange a small emission-free taxi for you. Or you can contact the taxi company directly: Taxi Wegmüller (Phone number: +41 33 855 33 80).
- Zurich to Wengen Train: All You Need To Know
- Wengen, Switzerland: 8 Reasons To Love It
- Wengen or Mürren: Which is the Better Base?
- Interlaken, Switzerland: An Excellent Base in Bernese Oberland
- Mountains Close to Interlaken Worth Visiting
- Where Is Eiger Express? Here Is an Overview
- Mountains Close to Interlaken Worth Visiting
- Jungfraujoch – When is the Best Time to Visit?
- Jungfrau and Jungfraujoch: What Is the Difference?