One of the most beautiful gorges that you can visit from Interlaken is Aare Gorge (Aareschlucht in German). It is only 43 minutes to an hour away by train and is incredibly easy to reach. I would recommend traveling by train from Interlaken to Aare Gorge.
Known for its limestone formations, Aare Gorge is a large piece of bedrock. It stretches 1,400 meters long and 200 meters deep between Innertkirchen and Meiringen. With a system of safe paths and tunnels, you can walk through the gorgeous gorge to experience nature uniquely.
If you are thinking of taking the train from Interlaken to Aare Gorge or the other way around, read on below.
Here’s how to get from Interlaken to Aare Gorge and vice versa.
You can start by visiting the SBB website: www.sbb.ch. Using the website, you can type in your departure and arrival destinations. It will then guide you to where and when you need to be. An app is also available for iOS and Android devices.
If you wish to pay half the fare for all your train rides in Switzerland, a Half Fare Discount Card (1-month validity) is available on www.sbb.ch. This allows you to travel for half the price on all SBB routes and most other railways during the duration of your discount card.
Using the Swiss Pass, you get unlimited travel by train, bus, and boat in Switzerland. Over 500 museums are also free or discounted, and there are free or discounted excursions to mountain summits.
Getting tickets from RailEurope is a convenient option if you’re traveling within Europe and/or visiting multiple countries. Having been in operation since the 1930s, RailEurope‘s extensive history, user-friendly website and mobile apps, flexible currency payment options, commitment to customer satisfaction, and strategic partnerships with leading rail operators, collectively establish it as a reliable and trustworthy platform for booking European train travel.
You can obtain from RailEurope the following travel passes:
- Swiss Travel Pass – choose between continuous or flexible Swiss train passes for 3, 4, 8, or 15 days. The perks? unlimited use in over 90 Swiss cities, free admission to more than 500 museums, and discounts on mountain railways and cable cars. You also get discounts on high-speed Lyria trains between France and Switzerland as well as Nightjet trains that go through Switzerland. See RailEurope for more information.
- Eurail Global Pass – unlimited train travel to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for non-EU residents
- Interrail Global Pass – access to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for citizens and permanent residents of the EU
How to Travel From Interlaken to Aare Gorge
To travel by train from Interlaken to Aare Gorge, you will have to take the following trains:
- Take the train from Interlaken Ost to Meiringen.
- In Meiringen, take the train to Aareschlucht West or Aareschlucht Ost. This train normally leaves from Platform 13.
- Walk from the train stop to the Aare Gorge entrance.
- To get to the western entrance of Aareschlucht, you must walk from the Aareschlucht West train station across the bridge and past the car park. It is a short 5-minute walk.
- To get to the eastern entrance of Aareschlucht, you must exit the tunnel from the Aareschlucht Ost train stop and go up the stairs.
The travel time from Interlaken to Aare Gorge is between 43 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes depending on which train you take and if you get off at the eastern or western entrance.
How to Travel From Aare Gorge to Interlaken
To travel by train from Aare Gorge to Interlaken, you will have to take the following trains:
- Take the train from Aareschlucht West or Aareschlucht Ost to Meiringen.
- In Meiringen, take the train to Interlaken Ost.
The travel time from Aare Gorge to Interlaken is between 47 minutes to 1 hour and 17 minutes. Please note that the Aareschlucht West train station is a 5-minute walk away from the Aare Gorge Entrance.
Is There a Direct Train From Interlaken to Aare Gorge?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2023), there are no direct trains from Interlaken to Aare Gorge.
To get to either Interlaken or Aare Gorge, you will have to change to a connecting train in Meiringen.
How Long Is the Train Ride From Interlaken to Aare Gorge?
The following table shows the train ride duration from Interlaken to Aare Gorge (updated December 2023):
|Interlaken Ost – Meiringen – Aareschlucht West
|Interlaken Ost – Meiringen – Aareschlucht Ost
|Aareschlucht West – Meiringen – Interlaken Ost
|Aareschlucht Ost – Meiringen – Interlaken Ost
|1 hour 6 minutes
Is the Train Route From Interlaken to Aare Gorge Scenic?
Not entirely. The train route from Interlaken to Meiringen is part of the Lucerne-Interlaken Express train which is also known as the GoldenPass route. From Meiringen onwards, you will be riding on a normal regional train.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
- Interlaken: 8 Reasons Why You Should Visit
- Interlaken, Switzerland: An Excellent Base in Bernese Oberland
- Best Hotels in Interlaken
- Top 12 Stunning Places Near Interlaken
- 8 Beautiful Towns Near Interlaken, Switzerland
- How to Get From Interlaken to Jungfraujoch: Your Options
- Lucerne to Interlaken Train: All You Need To Know
Related Posts: Gorges
- The Aare Gorge Canyon Walk in Haslital, Switzerland
- Rosenlaui Glacier Gorge – One of Switzerland’s Most Beautiful Gorges
- The Rejuvenating Tamina Gorge in Bad Ragaz, Switzerland
- Rhine Gorge – The Swiss Grand Canyon
- The Remarkable Viamala Gorge in Zillis, Switzerland
- Gorner Gorge – Zermatt’s Fascinating Gorge
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.