Interlaken and St. Moritz are two of the most popular tourist spots in Switzerland. You might consider staying in both of these places if you spend a week in Switzerland. Traveling by train in Switzerland is an easy, comfortable, and impressive journey. So I would recommend traveling by train between Interlaken and St. Moritz.
With its high winter peaks, great scenery, sailing on Lake Thun, walking, and biking, Interlaken is a real treasure. On the other hand, St. Moritz is an elegant mountain resort set in the high valley of Engadine. They’re both awesome places to stay and visit. Lots of people are probably going to try and see the two while they’re here.
If you are thinking of taking the train from Interlaken to St. Moritz or the other way around, read on below.
Here’s how to get from Interlaken to St. Moritz and vice versa.
You can start by visiting the SBB website: www.sbb.ch. Using the website, you can type in your departure and arrival destinations. It will then guide you to where and when you need to be. An app is also available for iOS and Android devices.
If you wish to pay half the fare for all your train rides in Switzerland, a Half Fare Discount Card (1-month validity) is available on www.sbb.ch. This allows you to travel for half the price on all SBB routes and most other railways during the duration of your discount card.
Using the Swiss Pass, you get unlimited travel by train, bus, and boat in Switzerland. Over 500 museums are also free or discounted, and there are free or discounted excursions to mountain summits.
Getting tickets from RailEurope is a convenient option if you’re traveling within Europe and/or visiting multiple countries. Having been in operation since the 1930s, RailEurope‘s extensive history, user-friendly website and mobile apps, flexible currency payment options, commitment to customer satisfaction, and strategic partnerships with leading rail operators, collectively establish it as a reliable and trustworthy platform for booking European train travel.
You can obtain from RailEurope the following travel passes:
- Swiss Travel Pass – choose between continuous or flexible Swiss train passes for 3, 4, 8, or 15 days. The perks? unlimited use in over 90 Swiss cities, free admission to more than 500 museums, and discounts on mountain railways and cable cars. You also get discounts on high-speed Lyria trains between France and Switzerland as well as Nightjet trains that go through Switzerland. See RailEurope for more information.
- Eurail Global Pass – unlimited train travel to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for non-EU residents
- Interrail Global Pass – access to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for citizens and permanent residents of the EU
How to Travel From Interlaken to St. Moritz
To travel by train from Interlaken to St. Moritz, you will have to take the following trains:
- Take the train from Interlaken Ost to Bern.
- In Bern, take the train to Zurich.
- In Zurich, take the train to Landquart or Chur.
- In Landquart or Chur, take the train to St. Moritz.
If you would like to read more about the Zurich to St. Moritz leg of the train journey, you can check out our article Zurich to St. Moritz Train: All You Need To Know.
How to Travel From St. Moritz to Interlaken
To travel by train from St. Moritz to Interlaken, you will have to take the following trains:
- Take the train from St. Moritz to Chur or Landquart.
- In Chur or Landquart, take the train to Zurich.
- In Zurich, take the train to Bern.
- In Bern, take the train to Interlaken Ost.
If you would like to read more about the Zurich to Interlaken leg of the train journey, you can check out our article Zurich to Interlaken Train: All You Need To Know.
Is There a Direct Train From Interlaken to St. Moritz?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2023), there are no direct trains from Interlaken to St. Moritz.
To get to either Interlaken or St. Moritz, you will have to take three to four different trains.
How Long Is the Train Ride From Interlaken to St. Moritz?
The following table shows the train ride duration between Interlaken and St. Moritz (updated December 2023):
|Interlaken West – St. Moritz
|5 hours 4 minutes
|Interlaken Ost – St. Moritz
|5 hours 9 minutes
|St. Moritz – Interlaken West
|5 hours 7 minutes
|St. Moritz – Interlaken Ost
|5 hours 13 minutes
Is the Train Route From Interlaken to St. Moritz Scenic?
Not entirely. Starting Thusis, you will be treated to fantastic views of gorges, viaducts, and mountains to St. Moritz.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Interlaken to St. Moritz?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2023), here are the train ticket prices from Interlaken to St. Moritz:
|Full Fare (CHF)
|Half Fare (CHF)
|Interlaken Ost to St. Moritz
|Interlaken West to St. Moritz
As you can see, if you avail of the Half Fare Travel Card, you can save on your fare for long train journeys. So this is something to consider during your travel to Switzerland. You can do simple calculations and decide from there if it will be worth it for you.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
* Disclosure: By clicking on our affiliate links, you may support TouringSwitzerland.com while incurring no additional costs. We appreciate your support!
- Zurich to St. Moritz Train: All You Need To Know
- Zurich to Interlaken Train: All You Need To Know
- Interlaken vs. St. Moritz: Which is Better?
- Glacier Express or Bernina Express: Which is better?
- Swiss Alps – The Ultimate Guide
- Top 10 Snow Sure Ski Resorts in Switzerland
- 12 Charming Car-Free Villages in Switzerland
Related Posts: St. Moritz
- How to Spend 1 Day in St. Moritz, Switzerland
- Relaxing Walk Around Lake St. Moritz, Switzerland
- 8 Best Day Trips from St. Moritz
- Best St. Moritz Alternatives to Choose From
- 8 Stunning Villages in Engadine Valley
- Fuorcla Surlej: One of Engadin’s Most Beautiful Viewpoints
- Experience Alp Grüm At Least Once In Your Lifetime
Related Posts: Interlaken
- Interlaken: 8 Reasons Why You Should Visit
- Interlaken, Switzerland: An Excellent Base in Bernese Oberland
- Top 12 Stunning Places Near Interlaken
- 8 Beautiful Towns Near Interlaken, Switzerland
- How to Get From Interlaken to Jungfraujoch: Your Options
- Giessbach Falls Near Interlaken, Switzerland
- Exploring St. Beatus Caves Near Interlaken, Switzerland. Plus 7 Tips!
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.