Interlaken is a world-famous town in Switzerland’s Bernese Oberland. Interlaken serves a great purpose as a base for visiting various tourist attractions in this region, including the nearby mountains. Specifically, you are close to Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau among many others.
From Interlaken, many people go to Wengen. Wengen is perched on a wind-protected sun terrace 400 meters above Lauterbrunnen valley. It is in the Bernese Highlands (Bernese Oberland region), around 1,274 meters above sea level. Wengen can be found at the foot of the famous 4,158-meter-high Jungfrau mountain.
How to Get From Interlaken to Wengen
It is quite easy to get from Interlaken to Wengen. To get from Interlaken to Wengen, you’ll have to take the following connections:
- In Interlaken Ost, take the regional trail to Lauterbrunnen
- In Lauterbrunnen, take the green Wengernalp Train to Wengen
How long does the train from Interlaken to Wengen take?
It takes 38 minutes to travel from Interlaken to Wengen by train.
Is the Train From Interlaken to Wengen Scenic?
Other Scenic Trains
Your other options in detail are the following:
- Golden Pass – The Golden Pass departs from Lucerne. You would take a train from Zurich to Lucerne, then change to Interlaken. This is sometimes referred to as the east end of this route. The Golden Pass has panorama coaches and is scenic.
- Glacier Express – Glacier Express is a long journey that starts from Zermatt, home of Matterhorn. It then traverses 291 bridges and 91 tunnels before stopping in St. Moritz. Both Zermatt and St. Moritz are beautiful mountain resorts worthy of a longer stay. The Glacier Express passes by several idyllic mountain villages.
- Bernina Express – Bernina Express is another train route that begins in Chur. Chur is the oldest alpine city in Switzerland and is worth visiting. This train route spans 196 bridges. It goes through 55 tunnels and passes 20 beautiful villages in Switzerland.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Interlaken to Wengen Cost?
As of December 2023, a single journey ticket from Interlaken to Wengen costs CHF 7.50 for those with the Half-Fare, and CHF 15.00 for the Full-Fare.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
Am I allowed to travel from Interlaken to Wengen?
Yes, there are currently no restrictions for traveling from Interlaken to Wengen.
Can you drive into Wengen?
No, you cannot drive your car into Wengen. You will have to park your car in the Lauterbrunnen Valley terminal and from there take a train. Wengen is a car-free village.
Is Wengen Car-Free?
Yes, Wengen is a car-free village similar to Mürren and Zermatt. As you cannot take your car, you will have to park it at the Lauterbrunnen Valley Terminal. From the Lauterbrunnen Valley Terminal, you will have to take the train up to Wengen.
How Do You Get Around in Wengen?
As Wengen is car-free, you cannot bring your car. However, if you need help with getting around, you can contact your hotel and they can arrange a small emission-free taxi for you. Or you can contact the taxi company directly: Taxi Wegmüller (Phone number: +41 33 855 33 80).
- Wengen, Switzerland: 8 Reasons To Love It
- 10 Best Day Trips from Wengen
- Interlaken: 8 Reasons Why You Should Visit
- Interlaken, Switzerland: An Excellent Base in Bernese Oberland
- Mountains Close to Interlaken Worth Visiting
- Where Is Eiger Express? Here Is an Overview
- How to Get From Interlaken to Eiger Express
- How to Get From Interlaken to Jungfraujoch: Your Options
- Jungfraujoch – When is the Best Time to Visit?
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.