Interlaken and Bern are two of the most popular tourist spots in Switzerland. You might consider visiting Bern if you spend a couple of days in Interlaken, Switzerland. Traveling by train in Switzerland is an easy, comfortable, and impressive journey. So I would recommend traveling by train between Interlaken and Bern. This article discusses what you need to know to travel from Interlaken to Bern.
With its high winter peaks, great scenery, sailing on Lake Thun, walking, and biking, Interlaken is a real treasure. On the other hand, the city of Bern, Switzerland’s federal city, is one of the ultimate destinations in Switzerland. There is much more to discover when you take the time to explore this charming city.
If you are thinking of taking the train from Interlaken to Bern or the other way around, read below.
Here’s how to get from Interlaken to Bern and vice versa.
You can start by visiting the SBB website: www.sbb.ch. Using the website, you can type in your departure and arrival destinations. It will then guide you to where and when you need to be. An app is also available for iOS and Android devices.
If you wish to pay half the fare for all your train rides in Switzerland, a Half Fare Discount Card (1-month validity) is available on www.sbb.ch. This allows you to travel for half the price on all SBB routes and most other railways during the duration of your discount card.
Using the Swiss Pass, you get unlimited travel by train, bus, and boat in Switzerland. Over 500 museums are also free or discounted, and there are free or discounted excursions to mountain summits.
Getting tickets from RailEurope is a convenient option if you’re traveling within Europe and/or visiting multiple countries. Having been in operation since the 1930s, RailEurope‘s extensive history, user-friendly website and mobile apps, flexible currency payment options, commitment to customer satisfaction, and strategic partnerships with leading rail operators, collectively establish it as a reliable and trustworthy platform for booking European train travel.
You can obtain from RailEurope the following travel passes:
- Swiss Travel Pass – choose between continuous or flexible Swiss train passes for 3, 4, 8, or 15 days. The perks? unlimited use in over 90 Swiss cities, free admission to more than 500 museums, and discounts on mountain railways and cable cars. You also get discounts on high-speed Lyria trains between France and Switzerland as well as Nightjet trains that go through Switzerland. See RailEurope for more information.
- Eurail Global Pass – unlimited train travel to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for non-EU residents
- Interrail Global Pass – access to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for citizens and permanent residents of the EU
How to Travel From Interlaken to Bern
To travel by train from Interlaken to Bern, you can take the direct train. There are one to two direct trains per hour. As of December 2023, here are the direct trains from Interlaken to Bern:
- IR 81 to Romanshorn
- IC 61 to Basel SBB
- EC to Hamburg-Altona
- ICE to Berlin Ostbahnhof
How to Travel From Bern to Interlaken
To travel by train from Bern to Interlaken, you can take the direct train. There are one to two direct trains per hour. As of December 2023, here are the direct trains from Bern to Interlaken:
- IR 81 to Interlaken Ost
- IC 61 to Interlaken Ost
- EC to Interlaken Ost
- ICE to Interlaken Ost
Is There a Direct Train From Interlaken to Bern?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2023), there are one to two direct trains between Interlaken and Bern per hour.
You may also take a connecting train via Spiez if you wish.
How Long Is the Train Ride From Interlaken to Bern?
The following table shows the train ride duration from Interlaken to Bern (updated December 2023):
|Interlaken West – Bern (direct)
|Interlaken Ost – Bern (direct)
|Bern – Interlaken West (direct)
|Bern – Interlaken Ost (direct)
Is the Train Route From Interlaken to Bern Scenic?
Although the trains that go to Bern from Interlaken are normal commuter trains instead of scenic trains, the region is beautiful.
Other Scenic Trains
In case you would like to check out other scenic trains, then there are more scenic trains recommended below. These are the Golden Pass Line, the Glacier Express, and the Bernina Express. Another interesting train is the Historical Train that goes from Davos to Filisur.
Your other options in detail are the following:
- Golden Pass – The Golden Pass departs from Lucerne. You would take a train from Zurich to Lucerne, then change to Interlaken. This is sometimes referred to as the east end of this route. The Golden Pass has panorama coaches and is scenic.
- Glacier Express – Glacier Express is a long journey that starts from Zermatt, home of Matterhorn. It then traverses 291 bridges and 91 tunnels before stopping in St. Moritz. Zermatt and St. Moritz are beautiful mountain resorts worthy of a longer stay. The Glacier Express passes by several idyllic mountain villages.
- Bernina Express – Bernina Express is another train route that begins in Chur. Chur is the oldest alpine city in Switzerland and is worth visiting. This train route spans 196 bridges. It goes through 55 tunnels and passes 20 beautiful villages in Switzerland. For you to go on this scenic train, you will have to go from Zurich or Lucerne to Chur first.
- Historical Train Davos to Filisur – May through October, vintage carriages are pulled by the century-old crocodile locomotive from Davos Platz to Filisur. The train line covers a total length of 4,200 meters through 14 tunnels and 28 bridges. Its scenic highlights include the Wiesen Viaduct and the Zügen Gorge.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Interlaken to Bern Cost?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2023), here are the train ticket prices from Interlaken to Bern:
|Full Fare (CHF)
|Half Fare (CHF)
|Interlaken West – Bern (direct)
|Interlaken Ost – Bern (direct)
As you can see, if you avail of the Half Fare Travel Card, you can save on your fare for long train journeys. So this is something to consider during your travel to Switzerland. You can do simple calculations and decide from there if it will be worth it for you.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
Related Posts: Bern
- Zurich to Bern Train: All You Need To Know
- Basel to Bern Train: All You Need To Know
- When Is the Best Time to Visit Bern, Switzerland?
- Zurich to Bern Day Trip: A Complete Guide
- Bern Historical Museum: What to Expect
- Visiting Gurten? 8 Reasons To Love It
- 7 Top Things To Do in Bern When It Rains
- Bern or Berne: What is the Difference?
- 9 Best Cities To Visit In Switzerland
- The Medieval City of Burgdorf, Switzerland
- Swiss Alps – The Ultimate Guide
Related Posts: Interlaken
- Interlaken: 8 Reasons Why You Should Visit
- Interlaken, Switzerland: An Excellent Base in Bernese Oberland
- Best Hotels in Interlaken
- Top 12 Stunning Places Near Interlaken
- 8 Beautiful Towns Near Interlaken, Switzerland
- How to Get From Interlaken to Jungfraujoch: Your Options
- Giessbach Falls Near Interlaken, Switzerland
- Exploring St. Beatus Caves Near Interlaken, Switzerland. Plus 7 Tips!
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.