Lucerne, a picturesque city located in the heart of Switzerland, is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning scenery, proximity to the Swiss Alps, and cultural attractions. Visitors from all around the world come to explore the city’s beautiful lakeside promenades, the Chapel Bridge, the Lion Monument, and interesting museums. For those who are planning a trip to Lucerne, one of the most important things to consider is the nearest airport to the city.
In this article, we will have a look at the nearest airport to Lucerne, as well as the other nearby airports that you can choose from.
Nearest Airport to Lucerne
It is important to consider the distance and travel time from the nearest airport when planning a trip to Lucerne. Unfortunately, Lucerne does not have its own airport.
The closest major airport to Lucerne is Zurich Airport, located approximately 67 kilometers northeast of the city.
As one of Europe’s busiest airports, Zurich Airport serves as a major hub for several international airlines. Some of the airlines that operate at Zurich Airport include the following:
|Swiss International Airlines||Lufthansa||Air France||Emirates|
|AirEuropa||El Al Israel||Singapore Airlines||Vueling|
|British Airways||Eurowings||TAP Portugal|
|Cathay Pacific||Finnair||Thai Airways|
You can check with these airlines to see if they offer flights to Zurich Airport from your location.
Besides Zurich Airport, other nearby airports may also offer lower fares or more direct flights from their homes. Alternatively, visitors may opt to fly into EuroAirport Basel or Bern Airport. Both airports are a bit farther away from Lucerne but can be reached in around 90 minutes.
Airport Transfer Times to Lucerne: A Comparison Chart
|Airport||Transfer to Lucerne by Train||Transfer to Lucerne by Car|
|Zurich Airport (Direct Train)||1 hour 10 minutes (more info)||57 minutes|
|Bern Airport||1 hour 44 minutes (more info)||1 hour 26 minutes|
|EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg||1 hour 29 minutes (more info)||1 hour 13 minutes|
Option #1: Zurich Airport (Best Option)
Zurich Airport, also known as Kloten Airport, is the largest airport in Switzerland and is located approximately 67 kilometers northeast of Lucerne. Zurich Airport is located in the canton of Zurich, near the village of Kloten, about 13 kilometers north of the city center.
How to Get from Zurich Airport to Lucerne
There are several transportation options available for travelers who need to get from Zurich Airport to Lucerne:
- Train: The fastest and most convenient way to get from Zurich Airport to Lucerne is by train. Trains run regularly from the airport to Lucerne and the journey takes approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available at Zurich Airport. However, this will not be cheap. I highly recommend negotiating the fare with the driver before starting the journey.
- Car rental: Travelers who prefer to drive can rent a car at Zurich Airport and drive to Lucerne. The journey takes approximately one hour, depending on traffic.
In general, Zurich Airport is likely to be the best option for travelers visiting Lucerne. This airport is the closest to Lucerne, serves many international flights daily, and provides convenient transportation options to get to their destinations.
Option # 2: Bern Airport
Bern Airport, also known as Bern-Belp Airport, is located approximately 80 kilometers west of Lucerne in Belp. The Bern Airport is a small regional airport that serves the city of Bern and the surrounding areas.
Despite its small size, it offers a variety of flight options to other European destinations such as Alicante, Antalya, Elba, Lübeck, Olbia, Palma de Mallorca, and Rhodos.
How to Get from Bern Airport to Lucerne
There are several transportation options available for travelers who wish to get to Lucerne from Bern Airport. These include:
- Train: Bern Airport does not have its own train station. You will have to travel by bus to Belp, and from there transfer to a regional train to Bern. From Bern, you can easily reach Lucerne by train. The journey from Bern to Lucerne takes approximately 1 hour and 44 minutes.
- Taxi: Taxis are available outside the terminal building. The journey to Lucerne takes approximately 90 minutes and can be quite expensive.
- Car rental: Travelers who prefer to drive can rent a car at Bern Airport and drive to Lucerne. The journey takes approximately 90 minutes, depending on traffic.
Overall, Bern Airport is an alternative to Zurich Airport but it won’t be as convenient. You might want to consider it if the ticket prices to Bern are cheaper and you’re okay with the longer transfer time.
Option # 3: EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg
EuroAirport, also known as EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg, is located approximately 100 km northwest of Lucerne. A tri-national airport, it is located on the border of France, Switzerland, and Germany.
How to Get from EuroAirport to Lucerne
There are several transportation options available for travelers to get from EuroAirport to Lucerne:
- Train: The easiest and most convenient way to travel from EuroAirport to Lucerne is by train. But before taking the train, you will first have to take the bus which will bring you to the Basel Train Station. From there, you can proceed to take the train to Lucerne. The total travel time from EuroAirport to Lucerne is approximately 1 hour and 29 minutes.
- Taxi: Taxis are available outside the terminal building at EuroAirport. However, the journey to Lucerne can be quite expensive. I highly recommend negotiating the fare with the driver before starting the journey.
- Car Rental: Car rental services are available at EuroAirport (Hertz, Sixt, Avis, Alamo). Visitors can rent a car and drive to Lucerne, which takes around 1 hour and 13 minutes. However, it is important to note that parking in Lucerne can be difficult and expensive.
In case you would like an alternative to Zurich Airport, Basel Airport is the second most convenient option for travelers to Lucerne. With regular train services and other transportation options available to get to the city, you may also choose it if the flights to Basel work out better for you.
Final Thoughts: Nearest Airport to Lucerne
Lucerne is a beautiful city located in the heart of Switzerland. It is a popular tourist destination, and visitors often wonder which is the nearest airport to Lucerne. In this article, we have explored the different airport options available to travelers.
Based on the analysis, it is clear that Zurich Airport is the nearest airport to Lucerne. In addition, Zurich Airport has a large number of flights arriving.
If you are unable to find flights to Zurich Airport, you may also want to consider the EuroAirport in Basel. Bern is also an option, but it is less convenient due to the many transfers and longer travel time.
It should be noted that Geneva also has an international airport with a large number of flights. However, it is really a long way away. Yes, you can choose it, but compared to the 3 airports explored in this article, it’s considerably further away (3 hours away).
Flight availability, budget, and travel preferences will ultimately you determine the choice of airport. We hope this article has helped travelers make an informed decision about the nearest airport to Lucerne.
Related Posts: Lucerne
- 10 Best Day Trips from Lucerne
- 9 Best Things To Do in Lucerne, Switzerland
- How to Get From Lucerne to Jungfraujoch: Your Options
- Closest Mountains To Visit From Lucerne
- Best Guide To Verkehrshaus, Lucerne – What You Need To Know
- Top 9 Things to Do in Lucerne on a Rainy Day
- 10 Beautiful Places Near Lucerne
- 8 Prettiest Towns Near Lucerne
- How Long Does the Goldenpass Train Take?
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.