Interlaken is a great starting point for exploring the Bernese Oberland region. Nearby are two large lakes – Lake Brienz and Lake Thun. Many pretty towns and villages are around these lakes, like Thun, Spiez, Brienz, and Iseltwald.
Hotels, cafes, souvenir shops, and watch shops abound in Interlaken. The Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel and the Casino Kursaal are on the main street. You can get to Harder Kulm after crossing the bridge from Höhematte and the Japanese Garden.
It’s also easy to get to Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Grindelwald, and Mürren from Interlaken.
When do tourists visit Interlaken?
You can go to Interlaken at any time of year with friends and family. No matter what time of year it is, Interlaken won’t let you down. The climate in Interlaken is moderately continental, with warm summers and cold winters.
Tourists love Interlaken during summer from June to August, when the lakes around it are warm enough and conducive to swimming.
Interlaken is busy in the summer, but it doesn’t surprise me because it’s the best and hottest time of the year. If you want it less crowded, go in May or early September.
Interlaken isn’t as big as some big cities in Switzerland, so finding all the best things to do isn’t a big deal. Generally, you’ll stay in Interlaken and explore more of the region from there.
If you would like to read more about the other places to visit near Interlaken, check out our article Top 12 Stunning Places Near Interlaken.
Best Time to Visit Interlaken
The best time to visit Interlaken really depends on your plans and preferences. I would recommend late May, June, July, August, and early September. This time of year, the bathing season is in full swing.
There’s a caveat: it’s going to be crowded, and it might rain. You might get more comfortable avoiding the main summer school holiday of July if you go in early June or late August.
Interlaken in Summer
- Summer lasts from June until September.
- You will get the most sunshine during the summer months, particularly in July and August.
- Heavy rainfall is expected during this period, but rain typically comes late in the afternoon.
- Peak summer temperatures reach almost 24 degrees Celsius in mid-July. The temperatures rarely fall below 12 degrees at night during summer.
- Summer is a popular tourist season in Interlaken, so accommodation and other living conditions can cost a little more.
- For swimming, the best time of year to visit Interlaken would be from July to August. Since the bathing season is in full swing, you might be able to go swimming in the lakes around such as Lake Thun and Lake Brienz.
- The biggest rock festival in Switzerland occurs every year in June Interlaken at the Greenfield Festival.
Interlaken in Autumn
- Autumn lasts from September to November.
- In Autumn, the temperature starts dropping and so does the amount of precipitation received.
- Temperatures slowly go down from 19 degrees Celsius in September to 7 degrees in November. You might even see temperatures from 1 to 5 degrees at night when it’s cold.
- Expect low visibility when Interlaken is under a sheet of fog. This tends to happen during autumn in lower-lying areas of Switzerland. You will have to visit one of the Mountains Close to Interlaken if you want to be above the sheet of fog.
- Restaurants will start serving wild food choices such as venison with spaetzle and mushrooms.
Interlaken in Winter
- Winter lasts from December to March.
- The temperature averages in the single digits, and sometimes it snows. Presumably, the daytime temperature will be plus zero, and the nighttime temperature will be minus zero.
- Rainfall is very less during these months. The least chance of significant rainfall in Interlaken during these months are January, February, and March.
- The weather at this time of year in Interlaken is too cold to be pleasant for warm-weather travelers
- Winter is typically a dreary and gray season in Interlaken, but the appearance of Christmas markets is a delight. The romantic Christmas market in Interlaken has wooden chalets and decorated market stalls. It takes place over a couple of days in December.
Interlaken in Spring
- Spring lasts from March to June.
- On a beautiful spring day, it’s a nice time to visit Interlaken because of the pleasant weather. However, the bathing lakes will still be closed, and the water still is too chilly.
- Flowers will start blooming.
- This is a maintenance period for cable cars and cog trains. It is recommended to check if these are running before starting your plan.
- It is a great place to hike, although there could be snow on the higher trails at the start of the season.
- Zurich to Interlaken Train: All You Need To Know
- Interlaken, Switzerland: An Excellent Base in Bernese Oberland
- Mountains Close to Interlaken Worth Visiting
- Harder Kulm, Interlaken
- Top 12 Stunning Places Near Interlaken
- 10 Best Things To Do In Thun, Bernese Oberland
- Giessbach Falls Near Interlaken, Switzerland
- Exploring St. Beatus Caves Near Interlaken, Switzerland. Plus 7 Tips!
- 33 Small Ski Resorts in Switzerland