* Disclosure: By clicking on our affiliate links, you may support TouringSwitzerland.com while incurring no additional costs. Thank you for your support!
Engelberg is a famous alpine town in Central Switzerland located in the canton of Obwalden. It’s known for Mount Titlis, a tall mountain in the area. The town has an old monastery from the 12th century and used to be a popular spa town in the 19th century. Some tourists who visit Zurich also go to Engelberg. In this article, we will cover how to travel from Zurich to Engelberg.
Engelberg has lots of cool spots to explore, and the biggest favorite is Mount Titlis. From Titlis, the views of the Rhaetian, Bernese, and Valais Alps are absolutely beautiful. When you’re up there, you’ll get to see amazing sights like other tall mountains, pretty alpine lakes, a glacier, rocky ridges, and more.
And don’t forget about Brunni, another great mountain for families, plus the neat Alps called Fürenalp and Gerschnialp.
It is possible to go from Zurich to Engelberg in one day. Based on the travel time we have already experienced, I estimate close to two hours each way. If you would like to have an easier time reaching Engelberg, I recommend you stay in Lucerne. From there, it is easier to reach the alpine town.
On this page, you can find all the information you need regarding the train journey from Zurich to Engelberg.
You can start by visiting the SBB website: www.sbb.ch. Using the website, you can type in your departure and arrival destinations. It will then guide you to where and when you need to be. An app is also available for iOS and Android devices.
If you wish to pay half the fare for all your train rides in Switzerland, a Half Fare Discount Card (1-month validity) is available on www.sbb.ch. This allows you to travel for half the price on all SBB routes and most other railways during the duration of your discount card.
Using the Swiss Pass, you get unlimited travel by train, bus, and boat in Switzerland. Over 500 museums are also free or discounted, and there are free or discounted excursions to mountain summits.
Getting tickets from RailEurope is a convenient option if you’re traveling within Europe and/or visiting multiple countries. Having been in operation since the 1930s, RailEurope‘s extensive history, user-friendly website and mobile apps, flexible currency payment options, commitment to customer satisfaction, and strategic partnerships with leading rail operators, collectively establish it as a reliable and trustworthy platform for booking European train travel.
You can obtain from RailEurope the following travel passes:
- Swiss Travel Pass – choose between continuous or flexible Swiss train passes for 3, 4, 8, or 15 days. The perks? unlimited use in over 90 Swiss cities, free admission to more than 500 museums, and discounts on mountain railways and cable cars. You also get discounts on high-speed Lyria trains between France and Switzerland as well as Nightjet trains that go through Switzerland. See RailEurope for more information.
- Eurail Global Pass – unlimited train travel to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for non-EU residents
- Interrail Global Pass – access to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for citizens and permanent residents of the EU
How to Get From Zurich to Engelberg
To get from Zurich to Engelberg, you will have to take the following connections:
- Take the Interregio train from Zurich to Lucerne.
- In Lucerne, change to the connecting train that goes to Engelberg. It is called Lucerne-Engelberg Express train.
The Lucerne-Engelberg Express leaves Lucerne at these times (as of August 2023):
|5:04 AM||11:10 AM||5:10 PM|
|6:10 AM||12:10 PM||6:10 PM|
|7:10 AM||1:10 PM||7:10 PM|
|8:10 AM||2:10 PM||8:10 PM|
|9:10 AM||3:10 PM||9:10 PM|
|10:10 AM||4:10 PM||10:10 PM|
If you are interested in going from Zurich to Titlis, you can check out this article: Zurich To Titlis Train: All You Need To Know.
Are There Direct Trains From Zurich to Engelberg?
As of the time of writing (updated August 2023), there are no direct trains from Zurich to Engelberg.
Engelberg can be reached via Lucerne from Zurich. Most tourists, however, choose to stay in Lucerne and then travel to Engelberg from there.
How Long Does It Take From Zurich to Engelberg?
The following table shows the travel duration from Zurich to Engelberg (updated August 2023):
|Route||Travel Duration (Fastest)|
|Zurich – Lucerne – Engelberg||1 hour 43 minutes|
|Zurich Airport – Lucerne – Engelberg||2 hours 15 minutes|
Is the Train Route From Zurich to Engelberg Scenic?
Intercity trains from Zurich to Lucerne are not scenic trains. There are fast trains that travel from one big city to another, whose main purpose is to transport passengers as quickly as possible. These trains can reach high speeds. During the ride, you can still see the scenery, but it won’t be slow and steady like other scenic trains.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Zurich to Engelberg Cost?
As of the time of writing (updated August 2023), here are the ticket prices from Zurich to Engelberg for a single journey:
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare (CHF)|
|Zurich – Engelberg||38.00||19.00|
|Zurich Airport – Engelberg||43.00||21.50|
As you can see, if you avail of the Half Fare Travel Card, you can save on your fare for long train journeys. So this is something to consider during your travel to Switzerland. You can do simple calculations and decide from there if it will be worth it for you.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
Related Posts: Engelberg
- Lucerne To Engelberg Train: All You Need To Know
- How to Get From Interlaken to Engelberg
- Fürenalp Engelberg: Hike in Beautiful Little Patagonia
- 10 Best Day Trips from Engelberg
- Lucerne or Engelberg: Which Is Better to Visit?
- 10 Best Things to Do in Titlis Switzerland
- Zurich To Titlis Train: All You Need To Know
- 10 Best Things to Do in Titlis Switzerland
- Closest Mountains To Visit From Lucerne
- 10 Beautiful Places Near Lucerne
- 8 Prettiest Towns Near Lucerne
- Glacier Garden Lucerne – An Honest Review
- Best Guide To Verkehrshaus, Lucerne – What You Need To Know
- The Chapel Bridge in Lucerne, Switzerland
- The Story Behind the Lion Monument in Lucerne
- Luzern or Lucerne: What is the Difference?
- How Long Does the GoldenPass Train Take?
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.