* Disclosure: By clicking on our affiliate links, you may support TouringSwitzerland.com while incurring no additional costs. We appreciate your support!
Foroglio is a delightful village in Ticino, Switzerland. It is far away from the hustle and bustle of Lugano, Bellinzona, and Locarno. The beauty of this place is that it’s calm and peaceful, which allows you to slow down and enjoy the scenery. Over the years, it’s gotten more popular, but it’s very secluded and tourists would have to drive a long distance to get there.
The majority of visitors to Foroglio will come from Italy or Zurich. In this article, we will discuss the commute from Zurich to Foroglio. How long is the travel time from Zurich to Foroglio? How much are the tickets? Read on for more information.
On this page, you can find all the information you need regarding the train and bus journey from Zurich to Foroglio.
You can start by visiting the SBB website: www.sbb.ch. Using the website, you can type in your departure and arrival destinations. It will then guide you to where and when you need to be. An app is also available for iOS and Android devices.
If you wish to pay half the fare for all your train rides in Switzerland, a Half Fare Discount Card (1-month validity) is available on www.sbb.ch. This allows you to travel for half the price on all SBB routes and most other railways during the duration of your discount card.
Using the Swiss Pass, you get unlimited travel by train, bus, and boat in Switzerland. Over 500 museums are also free or discounted, and there are free or discounted excursions to mountain summits.
Getting tickets from RailEurope is a convenient option if you’re traveling within Europe and/or visiting multiple countries. Having been in operation since the 1930s, RailEurope‘s extensive history, user-friendly website and mobile apps, flexible currency payment options, commitment to customer satisfaction, and strategic partnerships with leading rail operators, collectively establish it as a reliable and trustworthy platform for booking European train travel.
You can obtain from RailEurope the following travel passes:
- Swiss Travel Pass – choose between continuous or flexible Swiss train passes for 3, 4, 8, or 15 days. The perks? unlimited use in over 90 Swiss cities, free admission to more than 500 museums, and discounts on mountain railways and cable cars. You also get discounts on high-speed Lyria trains between France and Switzerland as well as Nightjet trains that go through Switzerland. See RailEurope for more information.
- Eurail Global Pass – unlimited train travel to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for non-EU residents
- Interrail Global Pass – access to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for citizens and permanent residents of the EU
Are There Direct Trains From Zurich to Foroglio?
As of the time of writing (December 2022), there are direct no trains from Zurich to Foroglio. You will have to travel via Bellinzona and Locarno first.
How to Get From Zurich to Foroglio
Zurich to Foroglio
There aren’t many train and bus connections between Zurich and Foroglio. That means you’ll have to get to Ticino early or stay in Ticino overnight. If you intend to stay in Ticino overnight, you can begin your journey later in the day.
If you plan to go to Foroglio as a day trip from Zurich, make sure you plan ahead. There’s no need to worry because it’s only a small village that you can see within one hour. Even if you make it a day trip, you’ll have plenty of time to see the village.
Important: Please check if there are buses running on sbb.ch before you leave. Between November and late March, I can’t seem to find any buses on schedule (as checked on December 2022).
To get from Zurich to Foroglio, you will have to take the following route (as of December 2022):
- Take the Intercity train from Zurich Train Station at 7:05 AM going to Lugano. Get off in Bellinzona.
- In Bellinzona, take the regional train to Locarno.
- In Locarno, take the bus that goes to Bignasco, Posta.
- In Bignasco, take the train that goes to S. Carlo (Bavona), Funivia. Get off in Foroglio (Bavona).
To get back to Zurich within the same day, take the bus from Foroglio at 3:49 PM or the last bus leaving at 5:51 PM.
How Long Is the Journey From Zurich to Foroglio?
The following table shows the train and bus ride duration from Zurich to Foroglio (July 2022):
|Zurich – Bellinzona – Locarno – Bignasco, Posta – Foroglio (Bavona)||3 hours 23 minutes|
|Foroglio (Bavona) – Bignasco, Posta – Locarno – Bellinzona – Zurich||3 hours 36 minutes|
Going to Foroglio from Locarno or Bellinzona is a lot better than going from Zurich. In addition, be aware that the bus only runs a few times a day and be ready for that. You might have trouble finding a parking spot on a nice summer day if you’re going by car.
Hotel Recommendations in Locarno
If you would like to consider some hotels in Locarno, you can check out our recommendations below:
- Villa Orselina – Small Luxury Hotel (5-star) – Villa Orselina is one of the most renowned hotels in the region, located in a small village overlooking Locarno. The elegant villa offers panoramic views of Lake Maggiore, air-conditioned rooms, a tennis court, a spa area, and a fitness facility.
- Hotel Belvedere Locarno (4-star*) – This large hotel is located above Locarno and offers easy access to the city center, the lake, and the railway station via cable car or foot. A free shuttle service to and from the train station is available. There is an indoor pool, a modern wellness and fitness center, and fantastic views of Lake Maggiore. You can also play petanque, outdoor chess, and table tennis outdoors.
- Hotel Lago Maggiore (4-star) – The hotel is located on the lake promenade of Locarno, just steps away from the center of the city. Guests at the hotel can enjoy an excellent breakfast every morning. A 24-hour front desk, air-conditioned rooms, a fitness center, and free bikes make it a fantastic place to stay while in Locarno.
- Hotel Millennium (3-star) – This hotel is conveniently located near Lake Maggiore, the old town, and the train station. It has reasonable rates.
Is the Train Route From Zurich to Foroglio Scenic?
In order to get to Foroglio as quickly as possible from Zurich, I recommend taking the fast Intercity train. This is not like the other scenic, panoramic trains such as Bernina Express or Glacier Express.
Am I allowed to travel from Zürich to Foroglio?
Yes, there are currently no restrictions for traveling from Zurich to Foroglio.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Zurich to Foroglio Cost?
As of the time of writing (July 2022), here are the train ticket prices from Zurich to Foroglio
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare (CHF)|
|Zurich – Foroglio||90.20||45.10|
As you can see, if you avail of the Half Fare Travel Card, you can definitely save on your fare for long train journeys. So this is definitely something to consider during your travel to Switzerland. You can do simple calculations and decide from there if it will be worth it for you.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
- Most Beautiful Villages In Ticino
- 5 Best Amazing Valleys in Ticino, Switzerland
- Most Beautiful Waterfalls in Switzerland
- Our First Hike In The Wild Bavona Valley
- Discover Verzasca Valley in Ticino
- BoBosco Trail In Amazing Verzasca Valley
- History of Bosco Gurin And Why It’s Worth A Visit
- Make the Most Of a Long Weekend in Lugano
- Bellinzona: Everything You Need To Know
- Locarno: Top Ideas for a Long Weekend
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.