Lausanne sits on the shores of Lake Geneva in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. It’s one of the biggest cities in Switzerland. The city of Lausanne affords a lively vibe despite its rich past. Besides, it’s got everything from shopping to sightseeing, art, and history. It also has an aquarium and access to the lake.
Lausanne, the second-most populous city in Switzerland’s French-speaking area, is also a popular tourist destination. Many people from Zurich travel by train or private vehicle to Lausanne, and vice versa.
It is inevitable that logistical concerns will arise. Those who wish to travel by train in Switzerland need to know several specifics before doing so. In this article, we will explore the train journey between Zurich and Lausanne.
How do you get from Zurich to Lausanne by train? Or are you able to drive in your own car? Let’s find out.
This article will answer all your questions about the train journey from Zurich to Lausanne.
How To Get From Zurich to Lausanne
As a first step, you should know about this website: www.sbb.ch. If you wish to install the app on your phone, they have one as well. Using the website, you can simply type in your arrival and departure destinations. After that, it will guide you to where you need to be and when.
Coming from Zurich Airport
If you are coming from the Zurich Airport, you may be able to take a direct train going to Lausanne. There are one to two direct trains that leave per hour during weekdays.
If there is no direct train, you may take a connecting train to Zurich Train Station and attempt to catch the next train leaving for Lausanne from there.
However, I will highly recommend just waiting for the next direct train to Lausanne if it is running. This will spare you having to do a transfer in Zurich, getting lost there, and maybe missing the next train to Lausanne anyway.
Coming from Zurich Train Station
If you are at the Zurich Train Station (Zurich HB), check the big blue display boards in the middle. You can find the train number and platform number on the station signs. Furthermore, the trains will be marked on the front and the sides with which route they are traveling.
If you are coming from the Zurich Train Station, you can take a direct train going to Lausanne or to Geneva Airport (Genève-Aéroport). There are two direct trains that leave per hour. Trains that go to Geneva Airport stop in Lausanne before heading there.
How to get from Zurich to Lausanne
In order to get to Lausanne from Zurich, you just have to take the direct train from Zurich Train Station to Lausanne.
As of March 2022, these are the Intercity trains IC 1 and IC 5 trains that travel from Zurich Train Station to Lausanne directly. To know the platform, you can check the signs at the Zurich Train Station itself.
Alternatively, you could take the Intercity train to Bern or Yverdon-les-Bains, then change to the connecting train to Lausanne.
How To Get From Lausanne to Zurich Airport
In order to get to Zurich Airport from Lausanne, you just have to take the direct train from Lausanne to St. Gallen. The trains typically leave from Platform 1. You can check the signs at the Lausanne Train Station itself.
Get off at the Zurich Airport (Zurich Flughafen) stop.
How long is the train journey from Zurich to Lausanne?
Here are the estimated travel times between Zurich and Lausanne (as of March 2022):
|Route||Estimated Travel Time (Fastest)|
|Zurich Airport – Lausanne||2 hours 25 minutes|
|Zurich – Lausanne||2 hours 8 minutes|
|Lausanne – Zurich||2 hours 8 minutes|
|Lausanne – Zurich Airport||2 hours 22 minutes|
Is there a direct train from Zurich to Lausanne?
Not all the time. The direct trains run once or twice per hour during weekdays (as of March 2022).
Is the Train From Zurich to Lausanne Scenic?
No, not really. The trains from Zurich to Lausanne are fast, commuter trains designed to bring passengers from one city to another as quickly as possible.
We have included other scenic trains below for reference, in case you are interested in taking one.
Other Scenic Trains in Switzerland
In case you would like to check out other scenic trains, then there are more scenic trains recommended below. These are the Golden Pass Line, the Glacier Express, and the Bernina Express. Another interesting train is the Historical Train that goes from Davos to Filisur.
Your other options in detail are the following:
- Golden Pass – Golden Pass departs from Lucerne. You would take a train from Zurich to Lucerne, then change to Interlaken. This is sometimes referred to as the east end of this route. The Golden Pass has panorama coaches and is scenic.
- Glacier Express – Glacier Express is a long journey that starts from Zermatt, home of Matterhorn. It then traverses 291 bridges and 91 tunnels before stopping in St. Moritz. Both Zermatt and St. Moritz are beautiful mountain resorts worthy of a longer stay. The Glacier Express passes by several idyllic mountain villages.
- Bernina Express – Bernina Express is another train route that begins in Chur. Chur is the oldest alpine city in Switzerland and definitely worth visiting. This train route spans 196 bridges. It goes through 55 tunnels and passes 20 beautiful villages in Switzerland.
- Historical Train Davos to Filisur – May through October, vintage carriages are pulled by the century-old crocodile locomotive from Davos Platz to Filisur. The train line covers a total length of 4,200 meters through 14 tunnels and 28 bridges. Its scenic highlights include the Wiesen Viaduct and the Zügen Gorge.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Zurich to Lausanne Cost?
As of the time of publishing the article, a single journey ticket costs the following:
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare (CHF)|
|Zurich Airport – Lausanne||78.00||39.00|
|Zurich Train Station – Lausanne||74.00||37.00|
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
Am I allowed to travel from Zürich to Lausanne?
Yes, there are currently no restrictions for traveling from Zurich to Lausanne.
Can you drive into Lausanne?
Yes, you may drive your car from Zurich to Lausanne. You also have the possibility to rent a car from Zurich Airport if you wish to and drive this to Lausanne. Check with the car rental agency for more details.
Is Lausanne car-free?
If you are interested in visiting car-free villages in Switzerland, you can check out our article: 12 Charming Car-Free Villages in Switzerland.
- Is Lausanne Worth Visiting? 10 Reasons Why
- Lausanne Cathedral: All You Need to Know in a Nutshell
- 10 Beautiful Towns Near Lausanne, Switzerland
- 9 Closest Mountains To Lausanne, Switzerland
- 9 Best Things to Do in Lausanne on a Rainy Day
- Geneva vs. Lausanne: Which is better?
- Honest Review: Aquatis Aquarium-Vivarium, Lausanne
- When Is the Best Time to Visit Lausanne, Switzerland?
- Lausanne or Montreux: Which one is better?