Montreux is a cute town in the canton of Vaud, Switzerland, northeast of Lake Geneva. Besides its spa facilities, Montreux is famous for its mild climate, awesome views, and the Montreux Jazz Festival. Eight kilometers run from Clarens, through Chillon Castle, and up to Villeneuve. Combined with Vevey-Montreux, it’s home to around 85,000 people.
Montreux is also an incredibly popular tourist destination. Many people from Zurich travel by train or private vehicle to Montreux, and vice versa.
It is inevitable that logistical concerns will arise. Those who wish to travel by train in Switzerland need to know several specifics before doing so. In this article, we will explore the train journey between Zurich and Montreux.
How do you get from Zurich to Montreux by train? Or are you able to drive in your own car? Let’s find out.
This article will answer all your questions about the train journey from Zurich to Montreux.
How To Get From Zurich to Montreux
As a first step, you should know about this website: www.sbb.ch. If you wish to install the app on your phone, they have one as well. Using the website, you can simply type in your arrival and departure destinations. After that, it will guide you to where you need to be and when.
Coming from Zurich Airport
If you are coming from the Zurich Airport, you will have to take the following trains to get from Zurich to Montreux:
- Take the Intercity train from Zurich Airport to Lausanne.
- From Lausanne, take the connecting train to Montreux.
Coming from Zurich Train Station
If you are at the Zurich Train Station (Zurich HB), check the big blue display boards in the middle. You can find the train number and platform number on the station signs. Furthermore, the trains will be marked on the front and the sides with which route they are traveling.
If you are coming from the Zurich Train Station, you will have to take the following trains to get from Zurich to Montreux:
- Take the Intercity train from Zurich Train Station to Lausanne.
- From Lausanne, take the connecting train to Montreux.
How To Get From Montreux to Zurich Airport
To get to Zurich Airport from Montreux, you just have to take the following trains:
- From Montreux, take the connecting train to Lausanne.
- From Lausanne, take the Intercity train to Zurich Airport.
The trains typically leave Platform 1. You can check the signs at the Montreux Train Station itself. Get off at the Zurich Airport (Zurich Flughafen) stop.
How Long Is the Train Journey From Zurich to Montreux?
Here are the estimated travel times between Zurich and Montreux (as of December 2023):
|Route||Estimated Travel Time (via Lausanne)|
|Zurich – Lausanne – Montreux||2 hours 38 minutes|
|Zurich Airport – Zurich – Lausanne – Montreux||2 hours 55 minutes|
|Montreux – Lausanne – Zurich||2 hours 40 minutes|
|Montreux – Lausanne – Zurich – Zurich Airport||2 hours 55 minutes|
Is There a Direct Train From Zurich To Montreux?
No, there are no direct trains from Zurich to Montreux. You will have to change to a connecting train in Lausanne.
Is the Train From Zurich to Montreux Scenic?
No, not really. The trains from Zurich to Lausanne are fast, commuter trains designed to bring passengers from one city to another as quickly as possible. But once you get to Lake Geneva, you will have really pretty views of the vineyards of Lavaux, the lake, and the stunning alpine panorama.
We have included other scenic trains below for reference, in case you are interested in taking one.
Other Scenic Trains in Switzerland
In case you would like to check out other scenic trains, then there are more scenic trains recommended below. These are the Golden Pass Line, the Glacier Express, and the Bernina Express. Another interesting train is the Historical Train that goes from Davos to Filisur.
Your other options in detail are the following:
- Golden Pass – Golden Pass departs from Lucerne. You would take a train from Zurich to Lucerne, then change to Interlaken. This is sometimes referred to as the east end of this route. The Golden Pass has panorama coaches and is scenic. Starting in December 2022, the GoldenPass Express will connect Interlaken to Montreux.
- Glacier Express – Glacier Express is a long journey that starts from Zermatt, home of Matterhorn. It then traverses 291 bridges and 91 tunnels before stopping in St. Moritz. Both Zermatt and St. Moritz are beautiful mountain resorts worthy of a longer stay. The Glacier Express passes by several idyllic mountain villages.
- Bernina Express – Bernina Express is another train route that begins in Chur. Chur is the oldest alpine city in Switzerland and definitely worth visiting. This train route spans 196 bridges. It goes through 55 tunnels and passes 20 beautiful villages in Switzerland.
- Historical Train Davos to Filisur – May through October, vintage carriages are pulled by the century-old crocodile locomotive from Davos Platz to Filisur. The train line covers a total length of 4,200 meters through 14 tunnels and 28 bridges. Its scenic highlights include the Wiesen Viaduct and the Zügen Gorge.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Zurich to Montreux Cost?
As of the time of publishing the article (updated December 2023), a single journey ticket costs the following:
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare (CHF)|
|Zurich – Montreux||84.00||42.00|
|Zurich Airport – Montreux||88.00||44.00|
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
Am I Allowed to Travel From Zürich To Montreux?
Yes, there are currently no restrictions for traveling from Zurich to Montreux.
Can You Drive Into Montreux?
Yes, you may drive your car from Zurich to Montreux. You also can rent a car from Zurich Airport if you wish to and drive this to Montreux. Check with the car rental agency for more details.
Is Montreux Car-Free?
If you are interested in visiting car-free villages in Switzerland, you can check out our article: 12 Charming Car-Free Villages in Switzerland.
- Geneva To Montreux Train: All You Need To Know
- How to Spend 1 Day in Montreux, Switzerland
- 10 Best Day Trips from Montreux
- Montreux: The Most Popular Spa Town in Lake Geneva
- 10 Beautiful Towns Near Montreux, Switzerland
- Lausanne or Montreux: Which one is better?
- 8 Best Places on Lake Geneva
- When Is the Best Time to Visit Montreux, Switzerland?
- 9 Beautiful Towns Near Geneva, Switzerland
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.