One of the most popular attractions in Zurich, Uetliberg has breathtaking views of the city and its surroundings. An ideal sunny day offers an unparalleled view of Zurich’s surroundings that cannot be seen at lower elevations. A visit to Uetliberg mountain, just a short train ride from Zurich, is well worth the trip.
It is possible to go from Zurich to Uetliberg in half a day. It takes about half an hour each way from Zurich train station, including a short 10-minute walk up to the summit.
On this page, you can find all the information you need regarding the train journey from Zurich to Uetliberg.
You can start by visiting the SBB website: www.sbb.ch. Using the website, you can type in your departure and arrival destinations. It will then guide you to where and when you need to be. An app is also available for iOS and Android devices.
If you wish to pay half the fare for all your train rides in Switzerland, a Half Fare Discount Card (1-month validity) is available on www.sbb.ch. This allows you to travel for half the price on all SBB routes and most other railways during the duration of your discount card.
Using the Swiss Pass, you get unlimited travel by train, bus, and boat in Switzerland. Over 500 museums are also free or discounted, and there are free or discounted excursions to mountain summits.
Getting tickets from RailEurope is a convenient option if you’re traveling within Europe and/or visiting multiple countries. Having been in operation since the 1930s, RailEurope‘s extensive history, user-friendly website and mobile apps, flexible currency payment options, commitment to customer satisfaction, and strategic partnerships with leading rail operators, collectively establish it as a reliable and trustworthy platform for booking European train travel.
You can obtain from RailEurope the following travel passes:
- Swiss Travel Pass – choose between continuous or flexible Swiss train passes for 3, 4, 8, or 15 days. The perks? unlimited use in over 90 Swiss cities, free admission to more than 500 museums, and discounts on mountain railways and cable cars. You also get discounts on high-speed Lyria trains between France and Switzerland as well as Nightjet trains that go through Switzerland. See RailEurope for more information.
- Eurail Global Pass – unlimited train travel to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for non-EU residents
- Interrail Global Pass – access to 40,000 destinations in 33 European countries for citizens and permanent residents of the EU
How to Get From Zurich to Uetliberg
Uetliberg can be reached by the S10 train from Zurich Train Station. Zurich to Uetliberg trains typically leave from Platform 22.
Are There Direct Trains From Zurich to Uetliberg?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2023), there are several direct trains from Zurich to Uetliberg. Trains depart every 30 minutes during the week and every 20 minutes during the weekend.
How Long Does It Take From Zurich to Uetliberg?
The following table shows the travel duration from Zurich to Uetliberg (updated December 2023):
|Zurich – Uetliberg||27 to 32 minutes|
|Uetliberg – Zurich||29 to 34 minutes|
Is the Train Route From Zurich to Uetliberg Scenic?
The Uetlibergbahn Trains are not scenic. The train starts in the city and then glides slowly through the woods. You get a panoramic view of the city near Uitikon Waldegg, and as you approach Ringlikon, you are rewarded with a picturesque hilly landscape. At Uto Kulm, however, you can enjoy the best panoramic views of Zurich.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Zurich to Uetliberg Cost?
As of the time of writing (updated December 2023), here are the train ticket prices from Zurich to Uetliberg:
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare (CHF)|
|Zurich – Uetliberg||9.20||4.60|
As you can see, if you avail of the Half Fare Travel Card, you can save on your fare for long train journeys. So this is something to consider during your travel to Switzerland. You can do simple calculations and decide from there if it will be worth it for you.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train.
* Disclosure: By clicking on our affiliate links, you may support TouringSwitzerland.com while incurring no additional costs. We appreciate your support!
- The Best Views in Zurich: A Guide to Uetliberg Mountain
- Closest Mountains To Visit From Zurich
- 25 Best Things To Do In Zurich, Switzerland
- 12 Best Unique Experiences In Zurich
- 9 Best Cities To Visit In Switzerland
Darla Uhl is the owner of TouringSwitzerland.com. Her home is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Having lived almost 20 years in Switzerland, she's traveled extensively all over the country.
Darla's favorite regions to visit in Switzerland include Engadin, Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland, Ticino, and Valais. She loves spending time with her family, hiking, visiting museums, and reading books.