In addition to being Switzerland’s most populous and most visited city, Zurich is also the country’s major international transport hub. If you’re in Zurich, you might consider going to Zermatt by train. Traveling by train within Switzerland is an easy, comfortable, and impressive journey. So I would definitely recommend traveling by train between Zurich and Zermatt.
Zermatt is one of the best places to visit in Switzerland. You’ve probably heard of it. It’s near a famous mountain, the Matterhorn. This car-free mountain village is beautiful. You’ll find it in Valais, one of the southernmost regions of Switzerland.
If you are thinking of taking the train from Zurich to Zermatt or the other way around, read on below.
How To Get From Zurich to Zermatt
As a first step, you should know about this website: www.sbb.ch. If you wish to install the app on your phone, they have one as well. Using the website, you can simply type in your arrival and departure destinations. After that, it will guide you to where you need to be and when.
How To Get From Zurich To Zermatt by Train
There is no direct train from Zurich to Zermatt.
To travel by train from Zurich to Zermatt, you will have to take the following trains:
- Take the train from Zurich to Visp.
- In Visp, take the train to Zermatt.
The travel time from Zurich to Zermatt is 3 hours and 12 minutes. There are also trains that go to Visp from Zurich Airport.
You cannot bring your car directly to Zermatt. Zermatt is car-free.
How to Travel From Zermatt to Zurich by Train
To travel by train from Zermatt to Zurich, you will have to take the following trains:
- Take the train from Zermatt to Visp.
- In Visp, take the train to Zurich.
The travel time from Zermatt to Zurich is 3 hours and 21 minutes. There are also trains that go from Visp to Zurich Airport.
Is there a direct train from Zurich to Zermatt?
As of the time of writing (April 2022), there are no direct trains from Zurich to Zermatt.
In Visp, you’ll need to change to a connecting train for Zermatt and vice versa.
How Long Is the Train Ride From Zurich to Zermatt?
The following table shows the train ride duration from Zurich to Zermatt via Visp or the other way around:
|Zermatt – Zurich||3 hours 21 minutes|
|Zurich – Zermatt||3 hours 12 minutes|
|Zermatt – Zurich Airport||3 hours 37 minutes|
|Zurich Airport – Zermatt||3 hours 29 minutes|
Is the Train Route From Zurich to Zermatt Scenic?
The Intercity trains from Zurich to Bern are not scenic trains. These are fast trains that travel from one big city to another, whose main purpose is to transport passengers as quickly as possible. These trains can reach high speeds, particularly while traversing the Zurich to Bern section. During the ride, you can still see the scenery, but it won’t be slow and steady like other scenic trains.
Starting Visp, the route starts becoming more beautiful. The trains also drive slower. However, if you want to go for scenic trains with huge panoramic windows, I would suggest taking the Glacier Express from Zermatt. The Glacier Express runs between Zermatt in Valais and St. Moritz in Graubünden over 291 bridges and 91 tunnels. This train route takes you from the home of the Matterhorn to St. Moritz, a fancy mountain resort in Engadine.
Other Scenic Trains
In case you would like to check out other scenic trains, then there are three recommended below. These are the Golden Pass Line, the Glacier Express, and the Bernina Express.
Your other options in detail are the following:
- Golden Pass – The Golden Pass departs from Luzern. You would take a train from Zurich to Luzern, then change to Interlaken. This is sometimes referred to as the east end of this route. The Golden Pass has panorama coaches and is scenic.
- Glacier Express – Glacier Express is a long journey that starts from Zermatt, home of Matterhorn. It then traverses 291 bridges and 91 tunnels before stopping in St. Moritz. Both Zermatt and St. Moritz are beautiful mountain resorts worthy of a longer stay. The Glacier Express passes by several idyllic mountain villages.
- Bernina Express – Bernina Express is another train route that begins in Chur. Chur is the oldest alpine city in Switzerland and definitely worth visiting. This train route spans 196 bridges. It goes through 55 tunnels and passes 20 beautiful villages in Switzerland. For you to go on this scenic train, you will have to go from Zurich or Lucerne to Chur first.
How Much Will the Train Ticket From Zurich to Zermatt Cost?
As of the time of writing (April 2022), here are the train ticket prices from Zurich to Zermatt:
|Route||Full Fare (CHF)||Half Fare Travel Card (CHF)|
|Zurich – Zermatt||125.00||62.50|
|Zurich Airport – Zermatt||129.00||64.50|
As you can see, if you avail of the Half Fare Travel Card, you can definitely save on your fare for long train journeys. So this is definitely something to consider during your travel to Switzerland. You can do simple calculations and decide from there if it will be worth it for you.
Do You Need a Seat Reservation on the Train?
No, there is no need to reserve a spot on the train. But you can always add this option if that is your wish.
- How To Reach Zermatt and Matterhorn From Zurich
- Why Is the Matterhorn So Famous?
- Best Zermatt Alternatives to Choose From
- How to Get To Glacier Express From Zurich
- How to Travel From Interlaken to Zermatt
- St. Moritz or Zermatt: Which One Is More Impressive?
- Swiss Alps – The Ultimate Guide
- Top 10 Car-Free Ski Resorts in the Swiss Alps
- 12 Charming Car-Free Villages in Switzerland
- Top 10 Snow Sure Ski Resorts in Switzerland